Know Your Rights – Accident FAQ
It is important for you to know what to do after a car accident. As an auto body shop and towing service in Bethel Park, PA, Maceil’s Auto Body has helped countless customer deal with their damaged vehicles. Many customers have also shared the difficulty they’ve had getting their insurance provider to pay for their repairs. With this guide, we hope to educate you on what steps you need to take to get the auto body repairs you need.
It is your right to have your body work done by any shop anywhere. If you have not been involved in an accident before, you may not know where to bring your vehicle to get your vehicle repaired, how to complete your insurance requirements, or what your insurance company is required to pay for. You also may not be sure what kind of parts should be used to return your car to OEM form. So, many you have never had to ask: “Where is a reputable place for auto repair near me in Bethel Park, PA?”
The reality is that insurance companies are required to pay for certain things according to your automobile insurance policy, hence the monthly premium. However, insurers would prefer to dictate the terms of your repair to you to save them time and money. Our team of experienced technicians is here to help you work with the insurance company so you can return your vehicle to its proper working condition.
What You Need to Know
- You can choose any auto body shop you wish to use.
- Your rights are protected by Pennsylvania State Law (PA Motor Vehicles Physical Damages Appraisers Act). No appraiser shall require that repairs need to be made in any specific repair shop.
- Insurance companies have to pay their fair share. Your insurance company pays for all the parts plus the labor and materials that are required to fix your car to bring it back to pre-accident condition. If the accident was your fault, then you are responsible for the insurance deductible that is listed on your insurance policy.
- You should choose your own body shop. You want your automotive repair done correctly. Too many times other body shops cut corners and costs. Insurance companies are looking to repair your vehicle as quickly and for as little money as possible. This can lead them to choose an inferior body shop on their own.
- What is insurance steering? Well, this is a process that includes an insurance company directly or indirectly influencing an individual to fix their vehicle at a specific body shop. Some examples of this include, “We don’t work with that body shop” or “Our appraiser is too busy and can’t look at your car for a while, but you can speed up the estimating process by taking your vehicle to ABC Body Shop.” You have rights in the state of Pennsylvania and we can help you exercise them.
What You Should Do After an Accident
- Be sure to get contact and insurance information from the other driver involved in your accident.
- Take your vehicle to the repair shop of your choice.
- Give that body shop your insurance information.
- Give your insurance company the location of your vehicle.
- The insurance company may send an appraiser to that specific location, and they may negotiate with the auto body shop.
Contact us with any questions you have about what to do after an accident. Also, remember to bring your vehicle to us for affordable and efficient car detailing in Bethel Park, PA. We provide helpful services, such as accident insurance estimates, to customers located throughout Upper Saint Clair, Bethel Park, South Park, Finleyville, Mt. Lebanon, Venetia, Peters Township, and Canonsburg, PA.